TCM Study 2023!For more information please see the link
About DPOK Kansas

About DPOK

Disability Planning Organization of Kansas, Inc. (DPOK) is the designated Community Developmental Disability Organization (CDDO) for North Central Kansas. Our service area includes nine counties:

  • Cloud
  • Dickinson
  • Ellsworth
  • Jewell
  • Lincoln
  • Mitchell
  • Ottawa
  • Republic
  • Saline

We are dedicated to assisting you in arranging for needed community services if you qualify as having a developmental disability. Such community services can help you to live, work and play successfully in your community.


At DPOK, we work closely with people every day to strategize on solutions and resources to address challenges and to positively impact lives.

As COVID-19 has evolved into a pandemic level affecting our daily lives at work and at home, it presents new and unexpected challenges to all of us.

DPOK is closely monitoring the COVID-19 public health emergency and we are following all recommendations from our local health departments and the Center for Disease Control (CDC).

It is critically important to us that people continue to receive the same level of support they are accustomed to and we are confident that we have measures in place to accomplish this without creating unnecessary risk.

We have worked hard to be well prepared.  We have made some adjustments to our operations to help preserve the safety, and the well-being of our customers and employees.

  • We have implemented self-screening procedures for staff and visitors to our building.
  • We have increased cleaning and disinfecting in our office using CDC approved products and procedures.
  • We are working closely with each person to develop the best plan for meetings.  We have in place the information and technology needed to deploy virtual meetings.  We can do in-person meetings as well with proper preparation and safeguards.

We want to assure you that we are doing all we can to provide uninterrupted service as we navigate through these challenging times.  We will continue to monitor and follow guidance from local and federal officials.  If there is a need to adjust our operations in any capacity or make changes that could impact our work, we will communicate that information to you.

We encourage you to contact us with any questions or comments.


According to the Developmental Disabilities Reform Act (DDRA), eligibility criteria for having a developmental disability is defined as:

  1. Intellectual Disability
    Substantial limitations in present functioning that is manifested during the period from birth to age 18 years and is characterized by significantly subaverage intellectual functioning existing concurrently with deficits in adaptive behavior including related limitations in two or more of the following applicable adaptive skill areas:

    • Communication
    • Self-care
    • Home living
    • Social skills
    • Community use
    • Self-direction
    • Health and safety
    • Functional academics
    • Leisure and work


  1. Severe, Chronic Disability, which:
    • Is attributable to a mental or physical impairment, or multiple sensory impairments, a combination of mental and physical impairments, physical and sensory impairments, mental and sensory impairments or a condition which has received a dual diagnosis of intellectual disability and mental illness;
    • Is manifest before 22 years of age;
    • Is likely to continue indefinitely;
    • Results, in the case of a person five years of age or older, in a substantial limitation in three or more of the following areas of major life functioning:
      • Self-care
      • Receptive and expressive language development and use
      • Learning and adapting
      • Mobility
      • Self-direction
      • Capacity for independent living
      • Economic self-sufficiency;
    • Reflects a need for a combination and sequence of special interdisciplinary or generic care, treatment, specialized communications techniques or other services which are lifelong, or extended in duration and are individually planned and coordinated; and
    • Does not include individuals who are solely and severely emotionally disturbed or seriously or persistently mentally ill or have disabilities solely as a result of the infirmities of aging.

If you believe you meet the eligibility requirements for having a developmental disability, the first step is to complete an Application Packet. You may view/download it below and then send or fax it to the Disability Planning Organization of Kansas, Inc. (DPOK).

Once DPOK receives the completed Application documents, the following steps will take place:

  1. An Access Specialist will review the Application and Authorization Form(s) and enter the information into our local database.
  2. DPOK will mail the Authorization Form(s) to the applicable entities to gather diagnosis records.
  3. Once we receive the records, we will review the information to make a determination.
  4. You will be notified via written letter of your “approval” or “denial” of the Eligibility Determination Phase by DPOK.
  5. If you are eligible, we will schedule a time to meet face-to-face to complete the functional assessment.
DPOK Assessment


After the Access Specialist determines you to be “eligible” or that you meet the criteria as set forth in the Developmental Disabilities Reform Act (DDRA) in the Eligibility Phase, you will be contacted by the Access Specialist to participate in the Functional Assessment process.

The assessment is used to determine your functional eligibility for the Home and Community-Based Services (HCBS) – Intellectual/Developmentally Disabled (IDD) Waiver Program. The outcome (resulting in a tier score from 0-5) is intended to accurately reflect your current level of necessary supports.

  • The assessment will take place at a location of your choice, with who you choose to participate (we recommend those who know you best), and in person.
  • During the meeting, the Access Specialist will ask you a series of questions related to demographic information, ability to perform a variety of daily living skills, medical conditions, any challenging behaviors, and so on.

The assessment will be entered into the State’s electronic system to be scored, and the resulting tier score will be mailed to you via a “Notice of Action.”

Available Services and Providers

Disability Planning Organization of Kansas, Inc. (DPOK), with the cooperation of its providers, tries to maintain the most current information available. We encourage you to contact ALL the listed providers for the services you are seeking. Addresses may be misleading; they may already offer or be willing to offer services in your area.

Choosing a Provider

If you have been found eligible for the Home and Community-Based Services (HCBS) - Intellectual/Developmentally Disabled (IDD) Waiver Program, you will have the opportunity to select a provider or providers. The list in the section above includes affiliated, performing providers who will help you coordinate and deliver services to you.
DPOK Providers

Helpful Tips

Choosing a service provider is an important decision. It can be hard to know what to ask a provider, especially if you are not entirely sure what your needs are.

  • We encourage you to contact any of the service providers within the Community Developmental Disability Organization (CDDO) area who provide the services you are exploring (see above section “Available Services and Providers) and arrange to take tours and ask questions before making a decision.
  • Please reference the FAQ below, “What are questions I should ask when trying to choose a service provider?” for ideas about what to ask.
  • Tours and agency meetings can be both exciting and overwhelming. It may be hard to remember the answers to your questions or what it was you really liked at one provider over another, so we strongly encourage you to take notes and ask for help in recording information you receive.

Changing Your Provider(s)

You are never locked into a provider. If you aren’t happy with the services you’re receiving, you can always make changes. Upon choosing your service provider or providers, Disability Planning Organization of Kansas, Inc. (DPOK) will contact the newly chosen providers so they may begin to establish your services. If you would like to make a change, please contact DPOK for assistance.


  • What is a CDDO?

    Community Developmental Disability Organizations (CDDOs) are local agencies that contract with the Kansas Department on Aging and Disability Services and are responsible for ensuring service access and availability within a system of service delivery to persons with developmental disabilities in Kansas.

  • What services does a CDDO offer?
    • Provides a single point of entry for people seeking services.
    • Maintains a resource list of area-wide services for those seeking services.
    • Offers information and referral while individuals and families determine which service providers they wish to use.
    • Works with people towards admission to all needed services.
    • Works with affiliate agencies to ensure customer-driven quality services.
    • Facilitates a council of community members for local input.
    • Oversees fiscal management according to contract with the Kansas Department on Aging and Disability Services.
    • Provides Gatekeeping services.
    • Oversees the dispute resolution process for the CDDO area and assists consumers when they have difficulties with their services.
  • If I am determined eligible, what’s next?

    We will complete a standardized functional assessment tool to help determine what services and level of financial support for which you may qualify. This assessment is at no cost to you. Upon receipt of your tier score, the Disability Planning Organization of Kansas, Inc. (DPOK) staff will provide you with information about services for which you qualify.


  • How do I get funding for services?

    You will be asked to select a Service Coordinator from a list of Case Management performing providers, who will help you determine the service you need and will file a request with DPOK. DPOK will make a recommendation to the State about your request. 

    If the State approves access, a Services Guide will be shared so that you may choose your provider for the particular service(s). If service access is not immediately available, you will be placed on a waiting list and given information about other community resources that may be able to meet your needs in the interim.

  • What is a Services Guide?

    A Services Guide is a listing maintained by DPOK staff of the community service providers that are affiliated with DPOK. You are able to contact the providers to gather information about the array of services they provide and make a well-informed decision about choosing the provider of the service(s).

    Upon choosing your service provider or providers, DPOK will contact the newly chosen provider(s), so they may begin to establish your services.

  • What are the questions I should ask when trying to choose a service provider?

    At a Place I Rent

    • Who is responsible for maintenance (e.g. carpet cleaning, hole in the roof, toilet not working, etc.)?
    • How will roommates be chosen?
    • What happens if the roommates don’t want to live together anymore?
    • What are you responsible for providing (e.g. bed, phone, dishes, linens, couch, etc.)?

    Work Opportunities

    • Will I be able to explore different job options to see what I might like?
    • Does the agency give me work where I earn money while I learn work skills?
    • Will the work available be challenging and rewarding?
    • How much support/training is available for getting and keeping a job?
    • If in a workshop, does the work area have the proper equipment for work and training?
    • How and when will I be paid?
    • Ask about transportation arrangements if necessary.
    • What hours will I work?


    • How are medical issues, including medications, managed?
    • Who schedules doctor appointments?
    • Does the provider have access to the proper adaptive equipment needed (e.g. a lift or accessible van with life)?


    • What am I responsible for paying (e.g. room and board, activities, medications, Depends, etc.)?
    • What things will be paid for by other sources?
    • How will the bills be paid and who will pay for them?
    • How will personal money and receipts for expenditures be managed?
    • Who will pay for groceries (e.g. Vision Card, split among roommates, staff portion, etc.)?
    • If money or property is mismanaged, how will the agency reimburse me?

    Challenging Behaviors

    • What is the agency’s policy regarding the management of behaviors and the use of psychotropic medications?
    • What does the Behavior Management Committee do?
    • Who is on the agency’s Behavior Management Committee?
    • How will you assist me if I experience a challenge?

    Quality Assurance

    • How does the agency determine the quality of services provided?
    • What is the agency’s policy on situations of suspected abuse, neglect or exploitation?
    • Ask to see a copy of the agency’s most recent licensing report.


    • What initial training does the staff receive prior to working with people?
    • What ongoing training does staff receive and how often?
    • How does the agency determine the amount of staffing needed for a person?
    • What is the agency’s policy when more staffing is needed due to a change in the person’s life?
    • How much does the agency pay its direct care staff?

    Communication With Me

    • Tell them how and under what circumstance you want to be notified.
    • Who do I notify if I have a question or concern?
    • How will the agency notify me of any lifestyle changes?
    • How will the agency notify me of any suspected abuse, neglect or exploitation?

    In Case of Emergency

    • What is the agency’s plan for supporting people in emergency situations (e.g. tornado, fire, power outage, etc.)?


    • How will the agency accommodate involvement in the community and how often?
    • Who pays for the activities?

    Targeted Case Management (TCM)

    • Do I get to choose the individual TCM or does the agency assign someone?
    • What specific kinds of training does the TCM receive?
    • How does the TCM stay informed of all the options available in the community?
    • How will the TCM keep up with the changes in the “system” and keep me informed of them (e.g. funding, services, etc.)?
    • How is the service paid for?
    • How often will the TCM have contact with me?
    • What are the TCM’s responsibilities?
    • What happens if the TCM leaves the agency?
    • How will you notify me of meeting dates, changes, etc.?
    • What are the options for reaching someone or leaving a message after office hours?


    • What qualifications does the agency require staff persons to have in order to drive with people receiving services?
    • What means, if any, of transportation, are available? Am I responsible for paying for it?
    • How does the agency maintain its vehicles?

    Payroll Services

    • Is payroll always paid on time?
    • Does the payroll agency pay the taxes, FICA, workers’ comp insurance, unemployment insurance, etc.?
    • Does the payroll agency provide training on self-directing, self-selecting, performing background checks, interviewing, hiring and scheduling Personal Assistants?

Contact Us

DPOK - Disability Planning Organization of Kansas, Inc.